
Russian President Vladimir Putin during a meeting on development of ‘new regions’, annexed from Ukraine, at the Kremlin, June 30, 2025, in Moscow, Russia.
Contributor | Getty Images
A potentially significant diplomatic moment is approaching as Russia prepares to respond to a U.S.-backed peace proposal for ending the war in Ukraine, with Washington and Kyiv signaling they are ready to move forward while Moscow adopts a more guarded tone. The next major step is expected next week when U.S. presidential envoy Steve Witkoff travels to Moscow for direct talks with President Vladimir Putin.
Russian officials have indicated that although they are willing to review the plan, they have not yet received an official draft from the United States. Yuri Ushakov, a key aide to Putin, said Wednesday that Moscow has only seen an unofficial version of the proposal and that several components require detailed scrutiny. He clarified that the peace framework was not discussed during the recent U.S.–Russia meeting held in Abu Dhabi, though broader Ukraine-related issues were on the agenda.
According to Ushakov, Russia views certain elements of the unofficial peace plan positively but believes other parts merit comprehensive analysis. He added that the Kremlin hopes the U.S. delegation visiting Moscow will include multiple officials involved in the Ukraine negotiations. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov expressed cautious openness to American involvement but insisted Russia would not make concessions on what it considers core strategic issues.
Kyiv Shows Willingness to Engage
While Moscow remains noncommittal, signals from Ukraine suggest the country may be prepared to take the next step toward formal negotiations. Multiple U.S. media outlets reported Tuesday that Ukrainian negotiators, following discussions with American officials in Abu Dhabi, tentatively agreed to the basic structure of the revised peace framework, though important issues remain unresolved.
A U.S. official, quoted by both ABC News and CBS News, said the Ukrainian side “has agreed” to the overall direction of the plan but acknowledged that several points still need refinement. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy later confirmed that Kyiv is ready to advance the proposed framework, emphasizing that Ukraine seeks a credible and fair path toward ending the conflict.
President Donald Trump also suggested progress on Tuesday, stating that negotiations were “very close” to reaching a breakthrough. In a later social media post, he said only a few disagreements remained, following several days of intensive diplomatic activity.
Revisions, Negotiations and Diplomatic Pressure
The emerging momentum follows a weekend of talks in Geneva, where U.S. and Ukrainian officials made substantial changes to a previously introduced 28-point peace blueprint. The original draft — widely criticized in Kyiv for favoring Russian interests — included proposals requiring Ukraine to relinquish the Donbas region, reduce its military by half and accept other concessions seen as crossing Ukraine’s key red lines.
These contentious provisions led to widespread concern in Ukraine, especially after Trump had urged Kyiv to accept the terms before the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Zelenskyy publicly acknowledged the dilemma his government faced, describing it as a painful choice between preserving national dignity and maintaining crucial international backing.
The revised framework, reportedly shortened to 19 points, now reflects additional input from both Washington and Kyiv. Ukraine’s National Security Secretary Rustem Umerov said the Geneva discussions resulted in “a common understanding” of several fundamental clauses. However, it remains unclear which elements from the original draft were removed or restructured.
Russia Maintains Ambiguity
Despite the flurry of U.S.–Ukraine coordination, Russia’s stance remains deliberately opaque. Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s spokesperson, said Tuesday that the Kremlin is closely monitoring media reports but has no formal update to share. He noted that while Russia understands negotiations between Washington and Kyiv are ongoing, Moscow has not yet received an updated official document.
Peskov added that Russia anticipates establishing its own direct contacts with the U.S. once the time is appropriate, but emphasized that the Kremlin has “no new information” about the finalized proposal. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov previously stated that any settlement must align with the understandings reached between Trump and Putin during their August summit in Alaska.
On Tuesday, officials from Ukraine and Russia reportedly gathered in Abu Dhabi for discussions facilitated by U.S. envoy Richard Driscoll, though details remain scarce.
Uncertain Path Ahead
The landscape of negotiations is shifting rapidly, but significant uncertainty remains. Moscow’s cautious responses, Kyiv’s conditional support and Washington’s aggressive diplomatic efforts together reveal a peace process that is advancing but far from settled. The revised proposal appears to be gaining traction, yet its acceptance will ultimately hinge on Russia’s willingness to engage with the newly updated terms.
With a formal U.S.–Russia meeting imminent and both sides signaling guarded optimism, the coming weeks may prove pivotal in determining whether the two-year conflict can move closer to a negotiated end.









